Danger Areas in the Home
Most house fires can be prevented. There are simple things you can do as a family to limit the risk of fire. Most home fires are caused by: smoking, kitchen accidents, heating systems, or electrical problems.
If Anyone Smokes:
Use heavy, hard-to-tip ashtrays. Empty them often, when contents are cool.Avoid smoking in bedrooms and never smoke in bed.Avoid smoking when sleepy of under the influence of alcohol or drugs
The sooner you are aware of a fire, the sooner you can escape. Working smoke alarms cut your chances of dying in a house fire in half!
Place one smoke alarm on every floor of your home, plus one in or near each bedroom. Smoke rises, so try to install alarms on the ceiling - 4 to 12 inces from the wall. If you have very high ceilings, install alarms high on the walls (at least 4 to 12 inches from the ceiling). Make sure you can safely reach the alarms to test them. Alarms should be 3 feet or more from windows or air ducts.
Stay safe by following these smoke alarm tips:Test smoke alarms monthly.Replace alarms' batteries twice a year.Never "borrow" the battery from the smoke alarm for another use.If cooking or steam causes a false alarm, fan the fumes away and open a window. Never remove the battery.Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust from smoke alarms.Replace your smoke alarms ever 7 to 10 years.
Heating Systems:Have your furnace and fireplaces inspected annually.Inspect space heaters for wear and tear, especially cords, connectors, and valves.Keep conbustibles at least 3 feet away from space heaters or fireplaces.Use space heaters only when you are awake.Use metal or glass fire screens on fireplaces.Burn only seasoned firewood in fireplaces.
In the Kitchen:Keep appliances clear of grease, food debris, dishtowels, packaging, and other flammables.Never leave cooking food unattendedWear short close-fitting sleeves when cooking.Smother a grease fire by turning off the heat and sliding the lid carefully over the pan. Don't use water, baking soda, or fire extinguishers-they can spread grease fires.Close the oven door and turn off the heat to smother a fire in the oven or microwave oven.
Electrical Fire Safety:Instead of plug adapters, choose surge-protecting power strips.Never run an extension cord under a rug, across a doorway, or where it might be pinched.Repair or replace loose or frayed electrical cords or plugs.Don't overload electrical outlets with high-wattage appliances.Keep combustibles clear of heat-producing appliances and lamps.Use only recommended-wattage light bulbs in lighting fixtures.Have a licensed electrician check your home wiring from time to time
The following information is available:
Tax Override Update
(Posted: Jun 18, 2008 15:53:05)
(Updated: Apr 10, 2008 13:28:00)
Page Last Updated: Jun 18, 2008 (15:53:05)